Sunday, January 10, 2010

Caregiver Tip #6: Watch Inspirational Films

Good self care involves surrounding yourself with enough positive, inspirational energy to help you keep going when things get rugged -- which they can from time to time.

Films are wonderful for providing that rapid infusion of inspiration. I'm starting a "Caregivers' Movie List" -- and I'd love to find as many titles as I can. My only requirement is that they speak to qualities of perseverence, resilience, and/or redemption of some sort.

Here are a few to start with:
  • The Shawshank Redemption
  • Gran Torino
  • Invictus
  • A Few Good Men
  • The Blind Side
  • Cider House Rules
  • Rocky
  • Million Dollar Baby
  • Good Will Hunting
  • The Right Stuff
  • Mr. Holland's Opus
You know what I mean: films that speak to our "larger" selves: films that help us realize that there are plenty of us going through struggles of all flavors. They just have to resonate, and help us come away with a greater appreciation of our own capacity to endure, to rise above our challenges..

Anyway, I'm adding to this list from time to time and would welcome ideas.
Take care. Linda Gromko, MD

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorites is "Harold & Maude" which is about a young man who learns how to embrace the joy in life from an older but free-spirited woman.

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. That takes me back! Some of these old movies are really therapeutic. We're watching "Platoon" at the moment; our stresses pale in comparison. Linda

    ReplyDelete