Wednesday, November 4, 2009

It's really not about the juice boxes...

A kind friend wrote in re: my caregiver frustration, generaously offering to run errands to lift our load a bit. Thank you for that.

But reflecting on the offer, it's clear to me that when things feel so out of control--with the big, unpredictable health problems Steve faces--we naturally latch on to the smaller issues we can conttrol.

In Steve's case, a small problem can become a near-disaster in short order. I've seen his blood sugar levels in the high forties, and his blood pressure in the 60/40 range. Left unchecked, these are the kind of numbers that can lead to a critical fall or even a loss of consciousness. It's always easier to correct these problems sooner-than-later. Particularly on Bainbridge Island where Seattle medical care is an airlift or ferry ride away.

The other point is my frustration with Steve's not taking control over issues he could control--with me batting in the clean-up spot!

But I get it: I can whine about the juice boxes. What we really need is a new kidney--type A or type O blood--a healthy kidney that will be compatible with Steve's blood and his post-transplant antibodies.

Don't get me wrong: I love this man beyond belief. I simply want him to side-step the landmines until our miracle occurs.
Take care. Linda Gromko, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment