So, where do we start when people gently advise us to "Take care of yourself?"
Few of us stop to consider exactly what it is we need. With my patients, I advise them to outline their "Minimum Daily Requirements." Just as with nutrition, we have "Minimum Daily Requirements" for:
- Physical touch
- Intellectual stimulation
- Giving to others
- Sunlight/exposure to the outdoors
- Time/contact with friends
- Tending to the business of bill-paying, home maintenance
- Idle time
- Personal maintenance, i.e. haircuts, grooming
- Creative time
- Keeping informed, i.e. newspaper, NPR, etc.
- Films, music, art.
Try the exercise. You're far more likely to get what you need if you know what it is that you do need.
Take care. Linda Gromko, MD